Movement for Health is a coalition of Scotland’s leading health charities, national agencies and academic institutions. We are united in our commitment to support the least active people living with long term health conditions to be more physically active. Click here to view our Terms of Reference
People with health conditions feel enabled and empowered to use physical activity to better manage their condition and experience positive health outcomes as a consequence.
Active Health & Social Care
We would like to see physical activity consistently embedded into health and social care pathways so that person-centred conversations about physical activity become a routine part of interactions.
We would like to see better infrastructure and inclusive environments to make our communities more accessible for active travel.
Active Places & Spaces
We would like to see spaces and places designed in a way that encourages people to move around their communities in a health and environmentally enhancing way.
Communications & Public Education
We would like to see and hear the transmission of clear, consistent messages to inspire people to get active in a way that works for them.
We would like to see workplaces with holistic and inclusive policies and approaches that enhance health and wellbeing and provide movement opportunities through the working day.
We would like to see more engaging opportunities to build greater workforce capacity to deliver system-wide approaches to physical activity in Scotland.
We would like to see a greater adoption of systems-based approaches at a national and local level to reducing inactivity and increasing physical activity levels among people with long term health conditions.
To provide a national forum to collaborate, lead, influence and advocate for greater prominence and investment to be given to realising our ambition.
We are a leading advocate for physical activity and health in Scotland. Our main role is to influence policy and practice, advocating the risks of inactivity and the benefits of physical activity in the prevention, early intervention and treatment of non-communicable diseases and long term conditions.
We work collaboratively to achieve change across the physical activity system.
- We provide a unified, and independent voice to lead and advocate for physical activity and health conditions in Scotland.
- We use insight and evidence, engaging with consultations to influence strategy and policy.
- We advocate for stronger leadership, and greater investment to ensure the right support, services, and opportunities are available to help make moving more a reality for people with health conditions.
- We create spaces for the workforce to embed physical activity into their practice.
- We raise the profile of physical activity by creating awareness about the benefits, barriers, and enablers of physical activity.
- We commission, endorse, translate, and disseminate research into practice so that our work is always evidence driven.
- We endorse the system-wide approach to physical activity in Scotland and are committed to contributing to the 8 action areas identified in Scotland's system-based physical activity framework.
As a collective, we Movement for Health, is dedicated to making positive change happen.
Our work is centred around the needs of those living with health conditions and to do this to the best of our abilities we hold our core values at the heart of our strategic planning, conversations, delivery and reflections.
We are stronger together, to influence and enable change.
Inclusiveness and Accessibility
We’re dedicated to create a movement that is accessible to all.
We believe in being honest, to recognise the challenges people face and to understand that we can always do better to support them.
We aim to be a trusted voice among our partners, employees and the people we support. To be guided with a reliable and evidence-based approach to best meet the needs of people that we can support.
We pride ourselves on building lasting relationships and partnerships to promote the good practice already available.